G6 Celebrates Black History Month
As we recognize Black History Month, we are proud to celebrate a few of our team members and what the month means to them.
Trinity OJO: My6 Program Manager
- What motivates you? I am motivated by taking on challenging projects and helping others. I strive to be a servant leader. Therefore, I see the success of others and the projects I work on to be just as important as my own.
- What does Black History Month mean to you? Black History Month means so much to me. It is a time that I learn more about black history and remember that I have come this far on the backs of others that came before me. I reflect on this and try to do my best for those that will come after me.
- Is there anything special about your upbringing or career that have made you who you are today? When I was a child, I grew up in and out of foster care. I was adopted at 14 and my entire life changed. This has made me resilient in my personal life and career. I apply the lessons I learned from both experiences every day. It pushes me to strive for success and keeps kindness at the forefront of my mind no matter what I do.
Sherneane Abdullah: Customer Care Manager
- Is there anything special about your upbringing or career that have made you who you are today? Growing up in the City of Chicago in the 1980s was very difficult. I was raised in a single-parent household. Therefore, the odds were truly stacked against my sisters and me. My mother taught us that with an education, we could achieve anything we set our minds to. Through her unwavering love and support, she has two daughters with Doctorate degrees. Additionally, I received my MBA in 2010. On that day my mother’s smile could outshine the sun. I lost my mother three years ago, but through her hard work and dedication to her children, her legacy will live on.
- Who has been your biggest inspiration? My biggest inspiration is my mother. She taught me to be strong, independent, and honest.
Jill Thornton: Director, Support Office Human Resources
- What does Black History Month mean to you? Black History Month is a celebration of triumph, where we acknowledge the difficult past but rejoice in the future and what that brings for newer generations. We embrace Blackness in all its forms and try to educate others more than ever before because we have a bigger platform. During Black History Month I feel a true sense of belonging and pride in who I am. It’s amazing to have this special time to reflect on our history as a whole and to come together through our shared struggles and experiences.
- Who has been my biggest inspiration? I admire my father for his enthusiasm, unwavering work ethic and his ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions. I am extremely grateful for the many life lessons he has taught me which have helped me become the person I am today. By following his example in both my personal and professional life, I am well equipped to pay it forward.
- Favorite Quote “People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.” ― Maya Angelou
Cory Cook: Vice President Quality and Customer Care
- What are your personal values? Faith, family and continually growing are values I have held throughout my career. I truly believe if we stay true to our values we can accomplish anything put in our path.
- What motivates you? Working for a great organization that empowers me to grow, lead, and learn from others. This is why I truly value my career at G6 Hospitality.
- Is there anything special about your upbringing or career that have made you who you are today? Growing up in a single-family household and watching my mom work tirelessly for me and my three siblings. Her strength, love for our family and passion to provide helped shape who I am today.
Rocelyn Robbins: Director of Central Reservations
- What is your favorite quote? “Once you realize your worth, you will become unstoppable.” – Rocelyn T. Robbins
- Is there anything special about your upbringing or career that have made you who you are today? I was taught throughout my upbringing to have Great Faith in God. Because of this, I have a strong work ethic and a sense of integrity. I know when obstacles come my way it’s a setup for something greater which will prepare me for the future.
- How can we raise awareness for Black History Month? We can raise awareness for Black History Month by bringing light to the contributions that we have made to this country and celebrating them.
Skyy Stelivan: Brand Marketing Specialist
- What drives you to excel at work or at home? The thought of giving my future self-everything I have ever wanted in life.
- What is your favorite quote? “Success is liking yourself, liking what you do, and liking how you do it.” -Maya Angelou
- Is there anything special about your upbringing or career that have made you who you are today? My upbringing in music helped me learn that marketing was my passion.